Student Services

Supports to help you pursue academic and personal success

Metro Continuing Education is here to support you with your academic goals. Our knowledgeable counsellors are available to answer your questions and help set you up for success. To book an appointment, call customer service at 780-428-1111 or email See below for some tips, tricks and FAQs for students.

Online learning: Find student resources related to online program delivery here.


Academic Students

Academic, post-secondary and personal counselling support is available for all Metro students. To book an appointment, call Metro customer service at 780-428-1111 or email

Mature Student Status

A couple of facts for our mature students:

  • If you are 20 years or older, you may be accepted to post-secondary institutions with less than the standard five 30-level classes. For example, for an arts degree at MacEwan University, if you meet the mature student requirements you may be admitted with only English 30-1 (admission requirements are subject to change).
  • Students 19 years and older or those who have a high school diploma on September 1st of the current school year may take their diploma exam mark as their final mark in a high school course. If this applies to you and your diploma mark is higher than your course average, it will automatically stand as your final grade. 


Skills Investment Bursary (Part-time Study)

  • Is an Alberta Works initiative to help adult Albertans upgrade their high school courses.
  • The bursary covers the cost of tuition and textbook rental fees (if applicable).
  • Funding is limited and is available on a first come, first serve basis for eligible students.

To qualify, you must fit the following criteria:

  • A Canadian Citizen, a Permanent Resident, or a refugee who has been accepted to apply for permanent residency in Canada and is legally entitled to work and study in Canada.
  • Over 20 years old, out of high school for 12 consecutive months, be low income and have less than $5000.00 in liquid assets.
  • Ready, willing and able to attend classes (must have completed a Career Investigation Report which identifies and supports the student’s career goal).

If interested, contact Metro’s Customer Service and they will email you a funding package and book you an appointment with a Student Advisor.

You can apply during the following time frames:

  • Quarter 3: Now until January 28, 2022
  • Semester 2: Now until January 28, 2022
  • Quarter 4: Now until April 8, 2022

Don’t wait, call Metro and book your appointments now to get the application process started!

Equivalency Diploma

An equivalency diploma is like a shortcut for people who have reached 21 years of age or have some post-secondary education. While you still need 100 high school credits, you no longer need to have as many grade 12 courses. You can also earn credits from life experience, living abroad, or education you’ve had outside of high school. If you think this may work for you, book an appointment with a Metro counsellor who can apply on your behalf.

Post-Secondary Planning

Post-secondary institutions have advisors to help you. Make sure you book an appointment with an advisor to discuss specific requirements for your program of choice. Advisors can answer questions about mature student status and important entrance requirements. 

External resources: University of Alberta, MacEwan University, NAIT, NorQuest, Concordia, King’s University



For more information, visit our FAQs page.



Here are some resources you may find helpful.

Free or Inexpensive Counselling and Mental Health Supports

    • 1-800-668-6868
    • provides interactive tools for managing difficult emotions and mental health problems
    • 24/7 free confidential professional online and telephone counselling a
    • text-based support in English and French 
  • AHS Togetherall App virtual mental health service that provides an online community,  resources and access to counselling supports
  • Always There AppTrained counsellors are available for staff and families supporting children and youth through Kids Help Phone
  • is an Alberta-based resource with information about mental health and identifies pathways to support in Alberta
  • TEXT4HOPE is a tool from the Mental Health Foundation for support during times of stress and isolation
  • Wellness Together Canada can assist individuals with feeling connected when physically distancing, and provides pathways to counselling services from a mental health professional, accessible 24/7
  • Clinical Services at the University of Alberta The cost is $30/session and individuals can self-refer. The referral form can be found here.
  • City University Edmonton offers no cost professional counselling sessions to clients across Alberta through secure video conferencing. For more information go to their website at

Emergency Youth Supports

  •  The Coordinated Youth Response is a group of local youth serving agencies (YESS, Boyle Street, C5 Hub, Bent Arrow) working to provide immediate needs during the pandemic to youth aged 15 to 24. 

General Supports and Resources

An up-to-date provincial directory of community, health, social, and government organizations and services to help support students and staff affected by COVID-19.