Frequently Asked Questions

Academic Success Programs

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is Metro’s online Privacy Policy?

Q: Who is eligible to take academic courses at Metro Continuing Education?

Metro’s Academic Success Programs welcome students of all ages. High school credit and non-credit courses are open to students looking to upgrade their marks as well as mature adult learners. Academic Success Programs also offer programs for high school, junior high and elementary students. You can browse and register for Metro’s academic courses online.

Q: What is the difference between the Academic Success Programs and Adult Continuing Education?

Metro Continuing Education offers programs for all ages. No matter whether you are a current high school student, adult learner or parent looking to register your child for a course, all academic courses are part of the Academic Success Programs. Adult Continuing Education offers personal and professional enrichment classes in areas like computers, languages, art and photography.

Q: I’m under 20 and registered at another high school. Can I take a high school credit course with Metro?

In most cases, yes. You will need to have proof of prerequisite courses when you register.

NOTE: Alberta Education does not allow:

  • Junior high school students to register in high school credit courses until they successfully complete Grade 9
  • Students to register in the same course at two schools in the same semester
  • Students who are in a home school program or have unique special needs to register at two different schools

Q: I’m under 20 and not in school. I’d like to go back to school and take a high school credit course. What do I do?

Call 780.428.1111. to speak with a Metro counsellor, who will help you plan your high school program.

Q: What is Mature Student Status?

If you are 19 years of age or older, or have a high school diploma recognized by Alberta Education as of September 1 in the current school year, you may:

  • Earn credits toward an adult equivalency diploma
  • Write a diploma exam worth 100% of the final mark
  • Earn prerequisite credits through the successful completion of a senior-level course

Q: I’m an international student in Canada on a visa. Can I take a course?

YES. Eligible international students are required to pay international fees to take a high school credit course with Metro. If you are an adult (18 years of age or older) visiting Canada on a visa and wish to study English as a second language, call 780.428.1111 for more information.International students must present their Study Permit or a valid visa.

Q: Do I need the prerequisite course?

Yes, if you are under 20 years old on September 1 of the current school year or if you are applying for a part-time bursary. If you do not currently attend an Edmonton Public Schools district school you must provide proof (report card or transcript) that you have the prerequisite course(s).

Q: Where can I get help with academic or career counselling?

Q: Does Metro offer part-time funding application and bursary assistance?

Yes. Experienced Metro staff can simplify the funding application process and help students who wish to apply for financial assistance through Alberta Works. Guidelines regarding funding eligibility are available from Alberta Learning Information Service (ALIS) or call 780.428.1111. Students may also pick-up a funding information package from Metro’s Registration and Customer Service office during regular business hours.

Students may be eligible for a part-time bursary (non-repayable funding). Bursaries for part-time study are intended to assist with program fees, tuition and books, and may also help with child care and travel expenses. Bursaries are only available for students taking high school credit courses. Applications should be submitted six to eight weeks before classes begin. Approval for part-time bursaries is managed by Alberta Works. Call 780.428.1111. for more information or assistance.

Q: Where can I obtain my high school records ?

If you have taken high school courses in Alberta, you can obtain a statement of marks from Alberta Education by using your myPass account.

If you took your high school courses in another province, contact the department of education in that province to obtain your high school records. If you have out-of-province documents (e.g., a transcript from another province) or if you received your education outside Alberta, call 780.428.1111. to speak with a counsellor for assistance in choosing the right courses.

Q: What is an Adult High School Equivalency Diploma?

This is a recognized Alberta high school diploma awarded to adults who have been out of school for at least 10 consecutive months. Although 100 credits are required to obtain a diploma, you may be awarded credits for adult education, age and/or extensive travel. You can apply for this diploma through Metro for a $60 processing fee. Call 780.428.1111 for more information.

Q: How long will it take to get my high school diploma by taking courses with Metro?

The length of time it may take to complete the requirements for a high school diploma will depend on:

  • How many courses you have to complete
  • How much time you have available to attend classes
  • Your other commitments (family, work, etc.)

Note: Students who work full-time should only take one course per semester.

Q: What legal identification do I need to ensure my registration is complete?

Students are required to provide legal identification and proof of address if any of the following conditions apply:

  • Previously attended high school outside of Alberta
  • New student to Edmonton Public Schools
  • Not a Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident.

Photo ID and one of the following identification documents must be presented if the above conditions apply:

  • Canadian Birth Certificate
  • Canadian Passport
  • Canadian Citizenship Certificate
  • Permanent Resident Card
  • Temporary Resident Permit
  • Study Permit

Q: What documents do I need to show to confirm a change of address and update my records with Metro and/or Alberta Education?

Students are required to complete a “Change of Address” form and bring in a document that indicates their name and new address:

  • Utility bill
  • Driver’s license
  • Alberta Registries ID card
  • Any other official government document showing the new address

Q: What are my registration options?

Online: You can browse courses and register online.

In Person: The Metro Continuing Education Customer Service & Registration office is located at 7835 – 76 Avenue NW, Edmonton, Alberta. For more information, view Metro’s office hours, location maps, closure dates and general contact information.

By Phone: 780.428.1111. Metro’s Customer Service & Registration staff will be happy to answer your questions or take your registration over the phone during office hours.

Q: Do I need to create a student profile to register?

Yes, you will need to create a student profile to register for an academic course.

student profile will allow you to register and manage your account online and provide you with valuable information on upcoming classes, registration confirmations, course history and payment history.

Please be sure to record your login ID and password so you can sign-in quickly and easily in the future. After completing your profile, you will receive an account confirmation email.

Q: How do I update my profile?

Sign-in to your Metro account and select ‘my profile’ from the grey menu bar and then ‘edit profile’.  You can make password changes, mailing list preferences or change your contact information.

Q: How will I know if my registration in a course is confirmed?

When you register online or by phone you will receive an email registration confirmation within 24 hours.

Q: A course I need to register in is full. What do I do?

If you are viewing a class online, you will see a ‘Waiting List’ button instead of “Add to Cart”. You must sign-in to your Metro account to add your name to the waiting list. After completing the request you will receive an email confirmation that you have been added to the waiting list. There is no commitment to take the class if an opening should become available. You can also call Metro Customer Service at 780.428.1111 to be added to the waiting list.

Metro will contact you if space becomes available or if a new class is opened. Should an opening in the course become available, the wait list will be called in the order they have joined the list.

Q: How do I view my wait list?

Sign-in to your Metro account and select ‘my waiting list’ from the grey menu bar. You may remove your name from the list at any time.

Q: Where are academic courses located?

All Academic high school credit and non-credit courses are located at Metro Continuing Education at 7835 – 76 Avenue. Cool School is located at D.S. MacKenzie School (4020 – 106 Street) and Londonderry School (7104 – 144 Avenue).  Brain Booster Diploma Prep is located at Metro Continuing Education (7835 – 76 Avenue) and Ross Sheppard School (13546 – 111 Avenue).

Q: Where do I park?

Students attending courses at Metro Continuing Education are asked to park in the parking lot. The entrance is located at the South of the school.

Students parking at other schools are asked to obey the parking signs in school lots, as some stalls are reserved 24/7.

Q: How do I find out which classroom I am in?

Room assignments are posted. Classroom assignments are subject to change weekly or even daily, so please be sure to check the listing before each class to ensure you make your way to the correct classroom.

Q: Are your locations handicapped accessible?

For questions about accessibility, please call Metro Customer Service at 780.428.1111. If we are not able to accommodate your accessibility needs, we will refund your course fees.

Q: Can I make up missed classes?

Students may not make up absences by attending a course other than their own. In the event a class session is postponed, a make-up class will be scheduled.

Q: What happens in case of inclement weather?

Metro Continuing Education does not close due to inclement weather and all classes will run as scheduled. Refunds will not be issued for non-attendance.

Q: When are courses available?

The Academic Success Program offers courses year-round. Fall term courses run from September – January; winter term courses run February – June; and Summer School runs during July. Course times and dates vary depending on the course level.

Q: Do courses with low enrolment get cancelled?

Metro encourages all students to register early. Students choosing to register late run the risk of having their course cancelled due to low enrolment or being placed on a waiting list due to high enrolment. Please note that for most academic credit courses registration close son the date of the second session.  A full refund will be issued for all courses cancelled by Metro. Cheque refunds may take up to three weeks to process if originally paid by cash, cheque or debit.

Q: What are the fees for taking an academic class?

Applicable fees vary by course. View applicable course fees online or refer to the current Metro Academic Success Programs Class Calendar.

Q: What is Metro’s fee payment policy?

When you register, you are required to pay all applicable fees for each course at the time of registration or provide documents that confirm payment.

Q: What payment methods are accepted?

Metro accepts cash, cheque, VISA, MasterCard or debit card payments. For online registration Metro accepts Visa, MasterCard and online debit payments from RBC Royal Bank, Scotiabank, Canada Trust and BMO Bank of Montreal.

Q: What is Metro’s Cancellation and Withdrawal Policy?

Metro reserves the right to cancel any course. A full refund will be issued for all courses cancelled by Metro. Cheque refunds take up to three weeks for processing through Edmonton Public Schools Financial Services, if originally paid by cash, cheque or debit.

If you submit a withdrawal form before the start of the second class of a course, all tuition and textbook rental and deposit fees will be refunded. The $40 program fee is non-refundable. If you submit a withdrawal form before the start of the fourth class of a course, you may apply for a full credit towards taking an academic course next semester OR a 50% refund of the tuition fees. The $40 program fee and $30 materials fee are non-refundable. No credits or refunds will be issued after the start of the fourth class of a course. Course credits or refunds will only be processed once your textbook(s) are returned. Non-attendance does not constitute a withdrawal. Cheque refunds may take up to three weeks to process if originally paid by cash, cheque or debit.

Q: What is Metro’s online Privacy Policy?

View Metro Continuing Education’s Privacy Policy